Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Antler Headband DIY

Step 1: create the skeleton from wire and secure with glue.

You can create antlers without the skeletons, but they will not be as sturdy making the horns more likely to break off.

Step 2: Create mold. Use whatever type of clay you prefer.

Step 3: Details. Antlers without grooves and bumps and holes just look like lumps of clay, so don't forget the details.


Step 4: Paint and Varnish.

I'm a firm believer in dry-brushing, especially for things with lots of little details. There are at least five layers of dry-brushing on these little guys.
Step 5: Enjoy! These are perfect for Halloween or when you just need a little nature in your outfit.

I'm back from out West. My darling and I explored the Vegas strip, visiting places I haven't been since childhood. Later we ventured further, to our hometown in Southern California.

Now we are back in our little apartment in New York where it is about 30 or so degrees cooler than the desert. To keep from dwelling on the fact that we're so far away from our families, I made myself a little antler headband.

2 comments: