Monday, June 11, 2012

Taco Salad


Ingredients

Two or three types of beans
Sweet Corn
Lettuce/arugula/cabbage
Feta Cheese
Cilantro
1/2 Lime
1 Jalapeno (optional)
Croutons!
Tostitos "hint of lime" chips, crushed
Thinly cut steak (your choice of what body part)

This is one of the best salads you'll ever have. As with many of my recipes, I concocted this from a craving. Use whatever beans you like. I usually choose black beans with one or two other types--usually kidney and/or white beans.
1) Chop up some cilantro and slice the steak into small squares. Since they're such think pieces, I tend to slice mine up somewhat haphazardly.

Don't over-season your steak for this--it's about the salad as a whole so you don't want any one ingredient to be overpowering. I used the cilantro, "Montreal Steak Seasoning," black pepper, half a lime and a teensy bit of onion (we all know how much I hate onions). If you want a little kick, add a bit of Tapatio.

You can cook the steak any way you'd like, I usually prefer my salad steak to be well done.

Pile the lettuce, beans, corn, crushed chips, croutons, feta and steak onto a plate, add your favorite dressing (I usually prefer Marie's "Super Bleu Cheese"). Occasionally, I'll add jalapenos, but, for the most part the salad is better without them.

Enjoy!
Salads are great for low effort meals. The only real preparation in this "recipe" is the steak, everything else is just plating. When I'm feeling lazy, I almost always go for a salad. This one is a hearty salad, so perfect for a big dinner on a chill evening in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment