Thursday, June 7, 2012

Veselka!

My anticipatory darlin.
Dreaming of Ukrainian food.


Beautiful, photogenic borscht.

"Hold still!" So I did.

Lovely little Veselka.


Devoured.

"Meat Plate."

2 meat and 2 potato pierogis and meat stuffed cabbage in mushroom sauce.

The potato pierogi and meat stuffed cabbage innards.

Oh, so delicious meat pierogi.
Veselka is one of my favorite restaurants in the city, but, for whatever reason, Nick and I only eat there once a year or every few years.

Some time ago, I was very annoyed to see Veselka in a movie called Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist--it was a super hipster movie from 2008; just terrible. I was worried that it might become overrun by the kind of awful people who enjoy movies like that (and therefore change). Yet, somehow, Veselka remains as authentic and "un-discovered" as always. It is, thankfully, in an obscure enough location that most tourists wouldn't even notice.

This lovely little place, located in the East Village, is a diner-style Ukrainian restaurant. They serve both regular everyday American diner food and "Ukrainian Specialties."

I'm a sucker for pierogis--which some Ukrainians call "varenyky." I love them so much I've incorporated them into our holiday meals every year (from scratch, of course). So, when I go to Veselka I usually get a large plate of them. This time was no different, I went for the "Meat Plate," which consists of two meat and two potato pierogis, and one meat stuffed cabbage in mushroom sauce with sour cream, beets and horseradish. It also came with soup and salad, so I ordered the cold borscht.

Now, I love beets. I will put beets in all sorts of meals; they're delicious, versatile and good for you! That borscht was (and always is) delicious. I remember the first time I saw it, it was my 21st birthday and Nick and I decided to go to Veselka with our good friend Anthony. I, of course, ordered the pierogis and Anthony ordered borscht. I was shocked by its nuclear pink color and didn't like the taste immediately. Now, years later, beets are one of my favorite things and their borscht is freakin awesome.

I also really love their beef stroganoff, its just the right amount of creamy and tangy. The American food is lovely, too. And their veggie stuffed cabbage. And the tasty Ukrainian beers.

Anyway. Go to Veselka. And give them my love. Just don't bring too many people with you. Lets keep this on the down low.

Here's their website

No comments:

Post a Comment