Thursday, May 3, 2012

Recipe for Jalitos! (Beer Battered and Baked Jalapenos, stuffed with goat cheese)





 Ingredients
1 pound small jalapenos
2 cups beer of choice
1.5 cups flour
2 cups seasoned breading
Goat cheese (portions may vary)
 As always, since I base my creations on taste and smell rather than recipes, I'm never sure what the exact measurements are, so use your judgment, food should be played with. Don't take it too seriously.


1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice the heads and tips off the Jalapenos.
2) Slice lengthwise and remove seeds. I usually use gloves during the gutting since jalapenos tend to burn my hands for hours after preparation.
3) Stuff each pepper with goat cheese--use however much or little cheese you prefer. The best part is licking the spoon afterwards; the leftover cheese is super spicey with jalapeno juice. Sooo good.

4) Pour beer of choice into bowl and mix in flour. I tend to prefer darker ales (avoid porters and stouts, they tend to be far too sweet). My preference is the BrouCzech Dark, it's only about $1.99 a bottle (in my grocery store at least) and has the perfect amount of tang to go with the peppers. Mix the flour and beer together with a whisk, add spices to taste (I used garlic powder, salt, and black pepper).

5) Dip Jalapenos in beer batter.

6) Roll the newly dipped peppers in the seasoned bread crumbs.

7) (Optional!) Because I tend to have lots of leftover batter and bread crumbs (and also because I love a nice thick crust) I tend to dip and re-crumb the jalapenos a couple times.

8) Place jalapenos in baking dish and bake for about 20 minutes, or until crust is slightly golden.


These guys make really great party food and, of course, being both battered with beer and spicy, they go very well with, well, beer. Veggie friendly, and can easily be made vegan with the substitution of imitation cheese. This is probably one of my favorite recipes, so please, treat it well :O)

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm looks great! But why did you use latex gloves ?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's one of my favorite recipes. I wear the gloves because jalapeno juice tends to burn my fingers for hours. I made a big batch for Thanksgiving last year and by the end of the day was keeping my hands in ice water to kill the burn. So, now I wear gloves to keep that from happening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got it!Thx for the reply!Do you know where I could by the same ones? Which sine are you using?
    Is there any powder on the inside?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can get latex gloves from the cleaning or medical section of any grocery store. I can't remember what brand those particular gloves were, and I don't believe they had powder on the inside. Most places carry latex-free gloves as well, if you have an allergy.

    Also, you definitely don't have to wear gloves. If you find that the jalapenos aren't too irritating to your skin then, by all means, 86 them. It's just my personal preference.

    ReplyDelete