Saturday, May 12, 2012

"Tiny Fish"




Flushing is one of my favorite parts of New York. It's a vast amalgamation of just about every Asian culture you can think of. Last year we went on a Flushing adventure (as we do from time to time and might do again on Monday) for my friend Jihae's birthday. She took us to an authentic Korean restaurant deep in one of the residential neighborhoods. The name, printed in small, red, Korean letters above the door, escapes me.

Jihae did the ordering since the servers spoke little, to no English. Because part of Korean cuisine is something called "on the house," the meal took up the entire table and was constantly being changed and added to. I'll post more pictures of the actual feast another time (Probably tomorrow).

What sticks out most in my mind was a small dish of what I thought was a fried mix of spices and nuts. Not until towards the end of the meal did I notice that they were fish. I'm not sure what species they were, when I asked Jihae their name she said "tiny fish." I'm thinking they may be a kind of sardine or anchovy (A reference to yesterday's post? Why yes! It is!).

They were delicious little salty fish with hints of rosemary, peanuts and Korean bbq sauce. Probably one of my favorite parts of the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment